Turkey > Bodrum > Sights & Facts

Ottoman Shipyard

The recently restored shipyard is situated at the northwest of Bodrum Harbour and Marina. The entire Ottoman Fleet was destroyed by the Russians in a naval battle at Cesme in 1770 and the shipyard it is believed was established in 1775 to rebuild the fleet.
The wood for these boats was brought in from the mountains in the local vicinity. Modern wooden boats are being built in many dockyards around the Bodrum area and are popular with Turkish and Foreign tourists alike.
The old shipyard was fortified against pirates and the tower was restored in 1829. The tower is now used to house local art exhibitions.
The site is used as a children’s playground and there are excellent views over present day Bodrum. Behind the dockyard is an Ottoman cemetery with the graves of the Anonymous Horseman Adsiz Atli Süvari and a famous Ottoman sea captain Cafer Pahsa. Many of the old tomb Stones date from the period when Latin replaced the Arabic alphabet.










 

Ottoman Shipyard

Opening Hours:
Open daily 9.00 to 18.00



SitemapAdvertising on Sunsearch.infoAbout Sunsearch.info Contact SunSearch.info